Sunday, June 3, 2007

Sky-high blogging episode 2

Hey reader,

as promised - another round of sky-high blogging to complete the circle.

I'm on the plane back from the Windy City after a long morning of finishing up packing, sweeping carpet floor with my broom (a vacuum was not among the things I had bought from Target) and giving heaps of stuff away to one of the Germans and the sociologist. Over the course of just one hour this morning, pretty much everything except one can of olives found a new home and I had to throw away very little.

I was just about done tidying up and getting ready to go around 12pm, Nema, whose flight departed around 3pm was long gone by then. The bad thing about that was that she was getting a ride with one of her roommates to the airport which was just so much more convenient than the one and a half hours of one bus and two train rides with my suitcase and two bags in the summer Chicago heat I was looking forward to. But I had missed that ride, so there I was, dropping off my keys and my laundry card at the graduate student housing office mailbox. Back across the street, there was actually a bus coming.

So far so good - but the driver warned us not to come in because her bus had been breaking down all morning and she couldn't guarantee to take us anywhere. That veered off me plus another young guy with a big bag who asked whether I was going to the airport.

Yeah, I was.
- Me too, been waiting for a bus for 15 minutes and now this, I'll have to take my car. Want a ride?
AWESOME!
- Can you watch my bag while I get the car?

You betcha, dude! Were things shaping up to repeat my incredible traveling luck from the way here?

Not quite!

We found out rather quickly that we had two different airports in mind. Rats. He wasn't going to O'Hare. BUT, he saved me the bus ride by dropping me off at the green line, which did bring me a short distance but otherwise long bus ride towards O'Hare.

The rest went rather smoothly except for me having to find out the hard way after lugging my baggage across the terminal to the Lufthansa check-in that this flight was going to be handled by United again after all.

And this time the bastards actually did make me sit with the cheap crowd. I miss the attention.

But they do have individual TV screens even here now so who am I to complain.

I still don't quite feel like writing the overall evaluation of the trip here so you'll have to wait a little longer for that while I pop in an episode of Battlestar Galactica now. I'm never able to sleep on these flights anyway.

Blog to you later.

No comments: